Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Next Up: Gulliver's Travels

Title: Gulliver's Travels
Author: Jonathan Swift
Published: 1726
 
Susan Wise Bauer recommends Oxford's World's Classics 1998 version of this, however, I already have a different version on my shelf, so I'll stick with that.
 
I attempted to read this years ago. I'm not even sure how it ended up on my shelf or why I started reading it, but it was during my "old books are boring" phase, so it's no wonder I didn't get very far in it. I have much higher hopes this time.
 
What I know about it mostly comes from cartoons and a children's book that I had called "Gulliver Mickey." So I'm expecting an island full of tiny people, but I'm guessing that Gulliver is not a giant talking mouse. The old-fashioned language turned me off the first time I read this, but I'm getting used to it. Plus, this book is over a century newer than Don Quixote, so I think I can handle it. 

Here goes!

No comments: